In this article, we will discuss the ultimate role of innovations and specifically Robotic Process Automation in healthcare, what makes RPA an optimal business management tool in this industry; and describe the top 5 use cases of RPA in healthcare.
Healthcare system: Why innovations matter
The World Health Organization (WHO) explains health innovation as:
“new or improved health policies, systems, products and technologies, and services and delivery methods improve people’s health and well-being. It aims to add value in the form of improved efficiency, effectiveness, quality, sustainability, safety, and/or affordability”.
So, yes. Efficiency, effectiveness, quality, sustainability, safety and/or affordability. These improvements are of utmost importance for almost any industry field. Yet, there is no denying that in the healthcare system, they are literally vital as they may directly impact human well-being.
The simple examples of automation gaps in healthcare, leading to negative consequences may loom large when it comes to:
- Insecure data storage and low level-sensitive data control
Example: A manual mass mailing leading to delivering one patient’s information to another one’s mailbox.
- Time-consuming manual administrative tasks
Example: Massive amounts of mundane patients’ data input and output tasks on a doctor/nurse/administrative assistant’s levels lead to a fewer number of appointments available for time sensitive care cases.
- Low-margin and value activities focus
Example: The governance of new appointment requests, patients’ pre-arrival and arrival, billing process minimize opportunities for a healthcare provider to reinvest in areas of higher profitability or better quality of service.
Filling healthcare system innovation gaps: What makes RPA a critical point
When it comes to changes in such industries as healthcare, RPA may become a simple solution promising tangible outcomes.
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) deployment is a reasonably priced tool aimed at reducing cost on operational and organizational levels and increasing productivity on a scale of the whole enterprise.
It can overtake repetitive manual processes and open up the space for high-value activities, making it easier for a healthcare organization to provide the clients with premium service while also increasing timely payments.
Major benefits healthcare providers can see from RPA include:
- Improved data confidentiality. Automated data transfers are encrypted, so every bit of data will be safely put into the right folder. Every time. All the time.
- Robust administrative support. Software robots provide a speedy response to patient requests enabling employees to spend more time treating urgent care cases and manage patient flow.
Read more about this topic: How RPA in Healthcare Scales Work Efficiency
- No changes to the current IT infrastructure. RPA software, such as ElectroNeek, is a non-intrusive tool that is compatible with almost all existing healthcare systems.
- Cost management. Finally, repetitive tasks automation opens the way for healthcare to time-saving and cost reduction which are valuable assets nowadays.
Robotic process automation (RPA) Use cases in healthcare
RPA use cases in healthcare offer valuable insight into why it is worth passing on some repetitive tasks, like entering patients’ blood test results into specific files and then consistently updating those files to software robots. In fact, by knowing which jobs are better handled by bots, the ‘why’ is implicitly answered.
Let’s take a more in-depth look at the most common RPA use cases in healthcare:
Use case 1: Optimized appointment scheduling
Booking an appointment has become a process that’s usually done online. However, typically processing these bookings remains a manual task. Now imagine there are 30 or 300 appointments booked for the next several weeks, and there is only one administrator to handle all incoming calls and arrivals.
Another tricky task is that the appointments should be accurate in terms of a match between an available doctor and a patient.
3-step RPA Solution:
- RPA bots offer appointment schedules to a patient according to his/her/their needs and the availability of a doctor.
- Once the appointment is booked, the bots schedule it in the database and remove that appointment slot.
- Bots also notify a patient via email, confirming the appointment details
Accurate data collection and processing, increased client satisfaction.
Use case 2: Improved billing cycle
Financial operations is another tricky area. Paychecks, invoices, bills are essential documents that need to be accurately formed and processed. Once errors find their way into the system, it can disrupt the flow of vital activities.
1-step RPA Solution:
- Building a custom bot logic to perform given tasks automate the invoicing process in line with the services offered to the customers.
Reduced payment delays and financial loopholes.
Use case 3: Added value of discharge instructions
Usually, whenever a patient is discharged from the hospital post-treatment, they are expected to follow post-medication and healthcare regimes. However, most of the patients tend to ignore post-hospitalization recommendations.
3-step RPA Solution:
- Bots deliver the exact discharge and post medication guidelines
- Bots are programmed to send timely notifications to inform the patient of the schedule, appointments, and tests.
- Bots contribute to continuous communication between a doctor and a client required for post-hospitalization medical assistance accordingly with the recovery plan.
Optimal post-treatment surveillance and well-organized recovery process.
Use case 4: Streamlined audit procedures
An audit is an inevitable routine in any healthcare organisation. It is done periodically and may range from patients’ service efficiency check to process safety check.
1-step RPA Solution
- Bots cannot execute the audit, however, they can be helpful in data recording and report generation.
Well-organized compliance check and data-informed decisions.
Use case 5: Optimized regulatory compliance
Besides the internal compliance requirements, healthcare organizations face the requirements to handle external audits. Sometimes it may take employees unawares.
1-step RPA Solution
- Bots ensure that all process steps are tracked, traceable, strictly documented and systematically organized in structured logs.
Compliance orchestration both internally and externally
Advances in Robotic Process Automation and Artificial Intelligence have allowed the healthcare industry to enter the era of a big innovation transformation. The most exciting thing is that it gives enormous opportunities to build healthy ecosystems with superior care delivery service and raise focus on saving lives without any wasteless routine.
We hope you’ve found this article useful. Subscribe to our blog materials using the form below and get exclusive content! Stay updated with RPA highlights and noteworthy news!